Being a mum is said to be the toughest job there is, but it is also the most rewarding. Staying at home to look after the kids brings moments of great joy as you watch your little ones grow and develop. There often comes a time when going back to work is a necessity, if not for financial reasons then for your own sanity!
There are an increasing number of mothers who choose to start their own business rather than going back to a 9-5 job, but a new business can seem like a costly exercise until the business is turning a profit.
There are many ways to save costs when starting a business, and below I’ve outlined five easy ways to save some precious pennies….
- Build your own Website. I know this sounds difficult and scary but it really doesn’t have to be. One of the easiest ways to build your own site is to use WordPress, it is easy to use and free and there are thousands of step-by-step videos available on Youtube.
- Write your own content. This is something else which can be done on a shoestring, as long as you have a reasonable understanding of the English language. It may be time consuming at first but you can get the basics in place and then find a good writer to polish your content at a later date.
- Make the most of social media. Advertising can be one of the most expensive aspects of starting a business. Setting up a business page is free with Facebook and by asking your friends to help spread the word by sharing your posts, you can side step the advertising costs. One business expense you can’t really scrimp on is business cards – you need these to hand out to other businesses, suppliers, clients etc if you want to appear professional and be taken seriously. You can still find these cheap though if you shop around and contact providers such as Colourgraphics.com.
- Find a cheap storage solution. If you are starting a retail business, you might need to hold some stock. Having children around the house can make it impossible to store your goods at home, we all know how inquisitive children can be. Finding a good local warehouse storage facility is the ideal solution for this.
- Email marketing. This is also a cost effective way to reach your customers, there are rules regarding email marketing and using a service such as Mailchimp will make sure you stay on the right side of the rules when you send out your professional e-newsletters. Mailchimp is not only easy to use but also free when you are starting out.
There are, no doubt, countless other ways to save money when you start a business, and these will vary depending on the business itself. If there are any other mums (or dads!) out there who have set up their own business, or are in the process of doing so, I’d LOVE to hear from you – perhaps add a few more tips to this article!
This article was provided by Genuine Success Blog.