If a business is run from a building then fire alarm installation needs to be the first thing that a business owner needs to think about when building or purchasing a spot for their business, this early detection and warning system can not only save valuable property, assets and inventory but all-important staff lives as well which is something that every business owner should be putting first.


In the years of 2016/17 there were almost 20,000 fires on business owned properties in the UK, an astounding 30% of those fires were deliberately set, while the other 70% were accidental which means that an early warning and detection would absolutely save lives which is something that all business owners should be most concerned about.

What is required by law?

It is required by law that all businesses have an appropriate early detection and warning system in place in order to be within compliance. Whatever career you are in, whether it be construction or office work, there are fire regulations in place. All workplaces provide a fire extinguisher, even those working alone in workshops such as welders are in possession of these. The so-called appropriate system can be indicated by an official fire expert and will depend heavily on the size of the building and the nature of the business, usually, a detection system needs to be installed in every room with an alarm system throughout the building, but the system itself will differ from business to business. For example, a chemical engineering lab where a fire is a large risk will have a more beefed up system than a beauty salon with only 2 rooms, each business is different and thus each system will be different too.

If a business owner wishes to be insured for fire damages it is likely that the insurance provider will require that an early detection and warning system be installed and that regular maintenance is carried out on it in order to pay out an insurance claim on fire damages. In the case of a claim being sent in, the insurance company will likely investigate the case thoroughly before paying out to ensure that the alarm system was installed, maintained and working at the time of the fire.

What more can be done?

There are some cases where heat detectors may work better than smoke detectors, especially in environments where there is often smoke within a space that doesn’t have anything to do with a fire, the need for different systems in different spaces can be determined in an assessment and evaluation from a fire official that is qualified in such matters to undertake a fire plan within the building.

Most alarm systems are auditory but in the case of a business where individuals are required to wear ear protection, a visual alarm system can be installed, this often comes in the form of a bright flashing red light to indicate to the individual that there is a fire emergency.

Drills – while being warned of a fire is one thing, it is important for businesses to carry out fire drills so that the employees do not panic in the case of a fire and are able to remain calm and know exactly what to do. Panic is the number one cause of emergencies going haywire and it is something to avoid at all cost. Training staff on what to do in the event of a fire could save lives.