Living in the US is a privilege and anyone who wants their parents to experience a better life can petition them to become permanent residents in the country. Immigration lawyers can help with the process and will provide guidance on how to be successful in this journey. The same can be said for any country that a family or an individual is looking to emigrate to, there is support out there that can be utilized, such as QIIP for those who are thinking of moving to Canada, for example, so there will be areas that can be looked into before setting the wheels in motion.

US citizens should be at least 21 years old to apply to make their parents Green Card holders. However, Green Card holders cannot petition to bring their parents to live permanently in the US.

Navigating the immigration process can be daunting, and one of the most crucial steps you can take is to engage the expertise of an immigration lawyer from a reputed company like Frahman Law Firm or something similar. These professionals are well-versed in the ever-evolving landscape of immigration laws and regulations, ensuring that you and your parents are equipped with the knowledge and guidance needed to make informed decisions.

Eligibility for Petitioning

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services provides information on how to petition your parents depending on your particular circumstance.

A US citizen who is over 21 years old who has a mother living outside the US should fill up Form I-130 and provide a copy of their birth certificate showing both their names. The US citizen must also provide a Certificate of Naturalization or a US passport if they were not born in the US.

If the US citizen is applying for their father who is living outside the US, they should provide the two aforementioned forms plus a copy of their parent’s civil marriage certificate. If they are applying for a father who is living outside the US and the applicant was born out of wedlock (for which they may or may not need a paternity attorney later) and was not legitimated by him before the petitioner’s 18th birthday, they must show a birth certificate, a Certificate of Naturalization, and evidence showing emotional or financial bond between the petitioner and their father before the applicant is married or has reached the age of 21.

However, if the petitioner was legitimized by their father before the age of 18, you need to file the same requirements and then show evidence that you were legitimized by your father through marriage, through the laws of your state or country, or through the laws of your father’s state or birth country or residence.

There is more information about different circumstances. An immigration lawyer will be able to guide you throughout the process and even the proper filling up of forms.

Ruby Powers Law

We specialize in immigration law and can guide you through the many avenues of the US Immigration System. We are easy to reach and are always available to provide you with expert and professional assistance in reuniting with your family in the country.

What Happens After Filing the Petition?

The USCIS will notify the applicant if their petition was approved or denied. If approved, the parent would be asked to visit the local US consulate to complete the process to gain a visa. If the parent is already living in the US, they will be eligible to file for the application to register permanent residence or to adjust their status using the Form I-485.

However, if denied, the denial letter will provide you with a timeline when you can re appeal the decision. The appeal will then be referred to the Board of Immigration Appeals.


Parents deserve a reward for all their hard work and sacrifice. An opportunity to bring them to live in the US is a great way to give back to them. For more information, contact our Houston immigration lawyers today.